Client Question: “I can’t seem to get everything done. The to do list between work and home just keeps getting bigger. How can I accomplish more?”
One of the first things to do in this situation is to look at how you are spending your time. Are you focusing on what you need to focus on? Are you spending more time than you should on social media, watching TV or Netflix? It is so easy to get sucked into spending your time on these things. I used to tell myself that I deserved a break, but my break would turn into a couple of hours before I realized it.
Here are three things to consider if you want to make a change:
- Keep track of where you are spending your time for a week.
- It doesn’t have to be down to the minute, but just at a high level. Are there changes that you could make? Are you focused on the right things? Are there things that are no longer value added that you can eliminate?
- Are there places that you get more done in than others?
- Places that are more creative or allow you to be more focused may be the key to getting more done. It doesn’t always have to the quietest place that allows you to get the most done. I can put my earbuds on and work from a library or a Panera and get quite a bit done. Sometimes it is just a change of scenery that will allow you to focus more.
- Is there a time of day that you work better than others?
- Is there a specific time of day or night where you noticed that you accomplished more? For some people their energy is higher in the morning, while others have more energy at night. See if you can determine when the highest energy is for you and do most of your work at that time.
The important thing is to build awareness of your time and look for opportunities to improve where you can get more things done. Doing this will allow you to get all the things done that you need to so you can relax and enjoy yourself.